Theme: Private and Public Roles
Author: Julia Johnson, Chairman Florida Public Service
        Commission
E-mail: jljohnso@psc.state.fl.us

[Julia Johnson is a member of the E-Mail for All Advisory
Board.]

Reality and Opportunity

Hello, my name is Julia Johnson, and I'm a recovering "HAVE NOT."
Well, actually, by profession, I'm a telecommunications
regulator.  More specifically, I'm Chairman of the Florida Public
Service Commission, and State Chair of the Federal Communications
Commission's Federal/State Joint Board on Universal Service.
Last week, however, I entered the world of the HAVE NOTS.  While
traveling, my laptop computer malfunctioned and could not be
repaired.  As such, I was unable to actively participate in last
week's segment of the E-Mail for All forum.

Though frustrated, I did not give up hope.  I knew that while
visiting my family over the weekend I'd have access to my
brother's computer.  Upon arrival, I learned that his computer
was also in need of repair.  At this point I decided that this
was a conspiracy of Divine Intervention from which much would be
learned.

After numerous inquiries, I quickly discovered that in my small
working-class hometown only two African American households had
computers, and only one of the two had Internet access.  More
importantly, I observed that very few people seemed interested in
having access to the Internet.  Equally important was the fact
that those that seemed interested raised the concern of
affordability.  I naively asked whether anyone had ever thought
about going to a community center or library to use computers and
to access the Internet.  I was quickly reminded that the
small-town library had limited daytime hours, and the individuals
with whom I spoke had day jobs.  I was also told that "the
community center" did not have computers because our small
community did not have a community center.

There I stood, face-to-face with reality.  I was concerned that
my family, friends, and community did not have access to the
information superhighway, and they were concerned that their
child, classmate, state regulator did not have a clue.

Admittedly, perhaps I suffered from a momentary lapse into a
prima donna, techno-high- society state of mind.  I later
explained to them all that I am aware that everyone does not have
access to the information superhighway, and that although the
public and private sectors have done much to ensure that we do
not have a nation of HAVES and HAVE NOTS, much work remains to be
done.

I believe that Congress, with the passage of the
Telecommunications Act of 1996, which included access to
telecommunications services by schools and libraries, took the
first step to ensuring a ubiquitous network for all Americans.  I
am proud that I serve on the Universal Service Joint Board that
helped establish a program that will provide schools and
libraries with access to telecommunications services, internal
connections, and access to the Internet at discount rates of
20%- 90% with a funding cap of $2.25 billion.

There are many other regulatory and government initiatives
underway designed to ensure that all Americans have access to the
information superhighway.  I believe that we, government
regulators, must continuously evaluate our role to ensure that we
are facilitating a process that will lead to open markets with
less regulation and more competition.  While at the same time,
government and private industry should look for ways to ensure
that all segments of society are full participants.

The private sector can play a vital role in ensuring that most,
if not all, of society is fully engaged in the information age.
Certainly the first step is to make sure that services are
affordable. Again, this should be accomplished through limited
regulation, open markets, and competition.  Questions still
remain.  Even if we have affordable service, how do we help
individuals understand the benefits of being on-line in such a
manner that individuals will desire to participate?  How do we
reach the underserved -- those that know very little about
participation or the benefits of connectivity?  How can we
develop on-line services that will truly attract and benefit
every segment of our society?

Through a comprehensive education/information/marketing strategy,
the private/public sectors can change how our communities think
and behave.  Certainly, this is not a complete solution to all of
the barriers of Internet access, but it is a step in the right
direction.  As proof, one need only look at recent examples.

· Endorsement of books by Oprah Winfrey.  Books automatically
become best sellers.  Individuals who have not read books in
years are interested after watching Oprah on TV.

· Endorsement of cigars by celebrities.  Endorsements by Denzel
Washington and Demi Moore instantly increase the popularity of
cigars and cigar houses.

Private/public partnerships can influence the way people behave
and think.  It's done every day.  Of course, there are other
barriers to full participation.  For example, literacy, lack of
proper skills and training, and other issues of priority, but
through mediums of mass appeal and a concerted effort, industry
can make a difference and reach more individuals that otherwise
would be reached -- one step at a time.

In fact, I write a monthly column for African American newspapers
in Florida.  I decided that next month's topic will be about
Internet access and E-mail -- a small step in the right
direction.  After that, who knows, maybe the Oprah Winfrey show.
Topic of the show: "NOTHING BUT THE NET" with Michael Jordan
demonstrating Windows 98.

 Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Universal Access Event
 WWW/Un/Subscribe Info: http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa
 Sub To: majordomo@publicus.net Body: subscribe emfa-event

 Forward event posts via e-mail to others, for details on
 other uses or to send general comments:  emfa@publicus.net