Welcome to the Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Internet Discussion      [Home] [Themes] [Comments]

EMFA: T4C1 - Private and Public Roles Comments 1

- - E-Mail for All - - - EMFA-EVENT - - - Universal Access - -
      http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa - Details Below

Private and Public Roles - Comments and Responses #1

[Actually a mix of interesting posts on more than Theme 4.]

The following messages are included in this digest:

1. Stafford "Doc" Williamson - Perceived Values and Access
2. Jeffrey J. Richter - Pricing Policies
3. Neil Morris - Access for those with Learning Difficulties
4. Bob Maslyn - PPR Additional Questions
5. Arun Kumar Tripathi - Internet and Uses in Education
6. Margit Watts - A Why Story
7. Andrew Wen - Comment on Dyson Expert Systems Essay

--     --     --     --     --     --     --     --     --
 [1]

From:       "Stafford \"Doc\" Williamson" <docw@primenet.com>
Subject:          RE: EMFA: T4E1 - Reality and Opportunity -
Johnson

Julia Johnson and EMFA forum participants,

I think that you (Julia) have hit one of the central reasons for
lack of universality of email and internet access at this time, a
complacent public.  If the utility, or perceived value of the
internet in general and email in particular was sufficient,
people would find a way to access it.

 My prime example of this is television.  Poverty does not
prevent people living in cardboard shacks on the mountainsides
surrounding Rio de Janeiro from having a television set in their
homes.  It may be old, small, black and white.  The power is
likely (illegally) appropriated from some distant power pole that
passes some distance away and brought in via household type
extension cords strung together, but they do have television
reception.

Another key element, however is that the over-the-air broadcasts
in Brazil are advertiser supported.   By comparison, internet
access, with some limited exceptions like libraries (inconvenient
distances and hours) and free.net (or similar, but not
universally available through local dialup).

 When it comes to email, several email-only advertiser supported
services are available, and are growing all the time.  Generally,
it is very possible that we will soon see entirely advertiser
supported internet (web) access.

When the public begins to perceive the benefits of access to be
sufficiently motivating, the "universality" aspect will follow as
a result of the natural ingenuity of the public.  When
corporations wishing to reach that public realize that a
corporate presence at the point of access is worth more than any
other form of advertising, we will likely see more and more
"free" access through commercial support.  But recognize too that
"literacy" is not much of a barrier to overall net access or even
email access.  The utility value of a net connection is dominated
now by text because text is all the data density that the
physical means of access can support.  When wireless and wired
transmission capabilities are spread to a much wider spectrum of
competitors, and the bandwidth increases to the point where High
Definition Television is a common content type, and not a strain
on the delivery system, we will certainly see the public
clamouring for "universal access", and "email" will be as likely
to be video mail as a text document lovingly labored over at a
keyboard.

My company does (mostly) postage stamp sized video delivery now,
but we have discussions every week about how to get to those
HDTV-on-the-net days, and I think they are coming faster than
most people realize.  I certainly hope so.  I am working on it.

-- Stafford "Doc" Williamson
President
WinfoTech Corp.
creators of MAQUE  -- streaming video service for the internet
http://maque.net docw@maque.net docw@winfotech.com

--     --     --     --     --     --     --     --     --
 [2]

Full Name: Jeffrey J. Richter
E-Mail: richtj@psc.state.wi.us

Policies on Pricing and Universal Service
for Internet Traffic on the Public Switched
Network; NRRI 98-11

http://www.nrri.ohio-state.edu
<new publications><98-11>

Exciting services that benefit the U.S. economy and individual
citizens are arriving on the Internet. The growth and promise of
this communications platform presents state and federal
regulators with new, difficult policy concerns because customers
use the public switched network (PSN) to reach the Internet.
Among the regulatory concerns are uneven availability of
advanced telecommunications services throughout the United
States.

This paper is derived from a report by members of the National
Association of Regulatory Commissioners (NARUC) Communications
Committee and Communications Staff Subcommittee to address
public policy issues arising from the advent of the Internet.
The Committees created the Internet Working Group in 1997 with
the initial task of addressing some of the most salient policy
issues that affect the states. The Working Group has reached
conclusions on a number of technical, pricing, and universal
service issues. One important concern is that the
Telecommunications Act of 1996 may not adequately support
deployment of advanced telecommunications services throughout
the United States.

In Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, "Advanced
Telecommunications Incentives," Congress allows three years
(until February 1999) to see whether or not the competitive
market can provide the facilities needed to bring advanced
telecommunications service to all Americans in a timely and
reasonable fashion. If the FCC finds that the market mechanisms
have failed, it is authorized to remove barriers to investment
and promote competition. No funding remedies are authorized.

Section 254(h), on the other hand, authorizes subsidies for
advanced telecommunications services for schools, libraries, and
rural health care institutions. Other ratepayers may not
directly benefit in their homes and businesses from this
subsidy. Rural and low-income markets often experience a lag in
infrastructure investment that regulators in some states may
find intolerably long in the case of Internet services.
Regulators must be careful not to over-plan the deployment
of advanced services or fund infrastructure investments that
would occur anyway.

Nonetheless, universal service planning should address the means
to support investments necessary for designated advanced
telecommunications services which customer demand will not
currently support. This may mean subsidizing, in some areas,
infrastructure necessary to provide advanced services or to
facilitate Internet access.

Internet service providers benefit from the subsidies for
advanced services to the institutions designated in the Act when
the subsidies make it possible for the institutions to use ISP
services. In addition, the definitions of data, voice, and video
telecommunications applications are blurring.

As beneficiaries of subsidies to institutions accessing the
Internet, and due to their public offering characteristics, it
can be argued that ISPs should share in the cost of subsidizing
services that are deployed to access the ISPs' services.

--     --     --     --     --     --     --     --     --
 [3]

From:             Neil Morris <Neil@pop3.poptel.org.uk>
Subject:          Universal Access - people with learning
difficulties

Universal Access to several colleagues of mine means the Internet
becoming accessible to them and other people with learning
difficulties (people with developmental disabilities)

We are working with a group of people with learning difficulties
from the US, Canada, and the United Kingdom to make this a
reality.

We are using e-mail, chat programmes, voice and video.

Further details of the work can be found on the Northamptonshire
People First Web site

http://www.peoplefirst.org.uk

follow the links to the mailing lists and online meeting and
conferences.

Its having an exciting affect as it is bringing together leaders
of the self advocacy movement from around the world on a daily
basis. This compares with once every 4 or 5 years if people were
lucky and could get to an international conference.

In April there was an Online Conference running in parallel to
the 4th International People First Conference held in Anchorage.

The aim of the work is not just about leaders but about all
people with learning difficulties having access and being part of
the online community. Its about ensuring people are not left
behind and further disabled by society.

What is happening is that a community of interest is being formed
amongst a group of people who traditionally are left behind in
getting access to technology.

The work is also having spin off benefits as if things are
accessible to people with learning difficulties they become
accessible to all members of society.

These developments are being done with a zero budget. The
International Committee is very keen to hear from any
organisation or funder who may be interested in
sponsoring/funding the development of the work.

If anyone would like further details of the work please e-mail
northants@peoplefirst.org.uk or myself neil@pop3.poptel.org.uk

cheers

Neil

 [4]